The Parish Council’s activities are varied and include:
- Maintaining the parish council-owned play areas at Bedwell Hey Lane and the Common.
- Employing a village handyperson to undertake litter picking, emptying the Parish-Council owned bins, and general small repairs to Parish Council-owned street furniture.
- Providing bus shelters, waste bins, dog-waste bins, benches, picnic benches and information boards
- Managing grasscutting on verges and open spaces
- Providing allotments at Manor Road
- Owning and managing the Millennium Wood, Community Orchard, Sandpit Drove and Old Scenes Drove (Holts End) for public recreation
- Owning and maintaining 57 streetlights in the village and paying for the electricity
- Carrying out highways improvements to ease traffic issues where possible, including applying for grants from the Local Highways Improvements fund
- Publishing the Witchford Walks leaflet and Parish Council newsletter
- Liaising with the county council on highway safety and repair, public transport matters, and footpath matters
- The parish council is consulted on all planning applications and tree orders within the parish
- Opposing planning applications where appropriate at planning hearings
- Supporting the production of the Neighbourhood Plan
- Making grants to village organisations from council funds.
- Providing community notice boards for residents’ use
- Liaising with the police on matters of concern within the parish
- Monitoring drainage and ditches throughout the parish and actioning as and when necessary.
- Inspecting and managing large trees on Parish Council-owned land, and reporting tree problems on other land to the District Tree Officer
- Making environmental improvements on Parish Council-owned land, and other public open space when possible
- Supporting village conservation volunteers including the Open Spaces Group, Team D and Adopt-A-Zone litter pickers
- Supporting the village Christmas festivities and providing the Christmas tree
Click here for a list of Witchford Parish Council’s powers and duties
Not sure which Council to contact? This webpage sets out the responsibilities of the different councils in the local area.
East Cambridgeshire District Council
The Grange, Nutholt Lane,
Ely CB7 4PL
Tel: 01353 665555
Fax: 01353 665240
To report dog fouling problems or flytipping to East Cambridgeshire District Council please use these links:
Cambridgeshire County Council
Shire Hall, Castle Hill,
Cambridge CB3 0AP
Tel: 0345 045 5200
(formerly: 01223 717111)
Fax: 01223 718045
To report potholes or other problems with roads and pavements or streetlights to Cambridgeshire County Council please use these links:
The mobile libary run by Cambridgeshire County Council Libraries Services has regular stops in Witchford. The library comes to Witchford on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month. It stops at West End between 2.40 pm till 3.20pm and then at Victoria Green between 3.25pm till 4pm.
Member of Parliament
The Member of Parliament for South East Cambridgeshire is Lucy Frazer MP
Walsingham Chambers, Butchers Row, Ely, CB7 4NA.